Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Remake your Mantle!

This spring we had rain in southwest Missouri for-EVER. I began to think I was suffering from season affective disorder due to the lack of sun. I was craving the bright colors of the daffodils, and the slowly-waking tulips to add some cheer to the dreary landscape. Spring couldn't get here fast enough to suit me, so I took matters into my own hands. As Kathern would have said, "I'va got ta have some spring and I'va got ta have it rat now!"

So since spring wouldn't come on fast enough outside, I hurried it up inside and remade my mantle. Here is a picture of my mantle before:
Look closely at the two red-colored candles. See the holders they are sitting in? Those are light fixtures! They came from Kathern's house in Hollister, Missouri. But that's a decorating tip for another time with another photo.

Look at that mantle! Ick! Busy, cluttered, drab, and in dire need of help. And to think, when I first arranged it that way, I liked it. Oh well, like they say, it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind. Guess that's why we like rearranging furniture so much! :)


Well, I wasn't quite sure about what to do to liven up my mantle, I just new I needed something light, bright, and airy. I stumbled across an old issue of Country Living where a room was decorated in tone on tone, white, off white, light beige, etc., and I really liked that. At last; I had an idea for my mantle remake.
Yee haw!
So, here is my after picture of my mantle: it turned out alright! The biggest sore thumb on the mantle before was the cherry stain. Nice for winter and fall, but not the most uplifting color when you're trying to lighten things up!

So, I used an off-white table runner with a scalloped edge to cover the mantle. No purchase necessary; I already had the runner, and wasn't using it at the time. I played with it for a while, positioning it and holding it in place with anything I could find to weight it down. Then, I folded the ends of the runner around each end of the mantle, much like when you are gift wrapping a box.  When I got it situated to where I was satisfied, I simply fastened the folds and tucks in place with straight pins. Nothing stitched, so nothing to rip out later if I want to return the runner to its original use.

I kept the candle holders, but replaced the old candles with new white ones. I ditched the mirrors and will haul them out again for another project! I kept the dried hydrangeas, but instead put them in a shorter vase, which is actually a little pitcher in the Star of David pattern. Yep, that was Neno's pitcher. :)

I found a simple but elegant, reasonably priced white, silk-rose floral arrangement at TJ Maxx, and underneath all the toppings, but above the runner, if you look close you'll see layers of tone-on-tone lace runners and doilies.

Of course, I kept the Home sentiment; I picked that up at Lowe's a few years ago for $8.00. The only things I bought new were the floral arrangement, and the white candles. And, I'm happy to report, I had a fun time remaking my mantle!

I hope you are inspired to liven up your living room! And always, feel free to share your ideas with me! I am always rearranging and redecorating something!

Love,
Marci






No comments:

Post a Comment